Horray! Another Ood Update! I finally finished the Ood jacket, and I am very pleased with how it turned out. While part of me will miss her floral shirt, I am happy with how this doll is coming together.
This jacket is made with size 10 crochet thread and size 0 (2.00 mm) knitting needles. The pattern I used for this jacket is from the Sticka till Barbie website, pattern number 913. I would rate this pattern for intermediate knitters. It didn’t have anything crazy, but it wasn’t easy either. For me, the hardest part was picking up stitches for the sleeves. It was difficult to do this with such fine thread. In all honesty, I had never picked up stitches before this pattern, so I had to look up a few tutorials on YouTube in order to get an idea of how it worked. After failing to do it with the knitting needles several times, I wound up using a small crochet needle to do the work. It was awkward to work with a knitting and crochet needle at the same time, but I managed to make it work.
Beyond that, I had a bit of drama that set me back at least a week on this piece. I found some black crochet thread at a thrift store. I was excited for it, I thought it was a great buy, and I was incredibly naive. About halfway through the back of the jacket, I realized that this thread had problems. It would break when you tugged on it. This is something I have never seen in thread before. Just a light tug and poof! It would be broken. I learned this when the toddler grabbed and yanked the thread as I was working on it and it made a meter long length of string fray badly. Then, I took the thread and gave it a light tug. It broke clean-through. I unraveled part of the ball and tried it again; same problem. I am completely stunned and upset. I had at least 4 hours worth of knitting into the piece when I realized the yarn had this problem. I checked the rest of my cache to make sure that none of the other skeins have this flaw. Luckily, it was only this odd-ball black thread. Overall, I am happy I realized this problem sooner rather than later – I would have hated to finish the jacket and have it fall apart when my girl is playing with it down the road.
After the yarn problem came to light, I had to buy a new skein of black crochet thread. This was the biggest time sink for this project; I forgot it the first time I went shopping and didn’t have time to go again until a week later. I went to a Hobby Lobby since they were having a sale on thread that week, and I bought a new skein of Artiste brand size 10 cotton crochet thread. The color is coal black, and it does not disappoint. It didn’t snap when I tugged on it, and it matched the color of the previous skein. This stuff will is well suited for doll clothes. Fabulous! As a side note, I am so glad to be living somewhere with more than one craft store. Our old small town had a family owned craft store and the city (an hour away) had a Hobby Lobby, but this area has Hobby Lobby, JoAnn Fabric, Hancock Fabric, and Michaels. I am amazed by the sales and coupons that I now get to use.
Beyond that, the only other eventful thing to happen while knitting this piece was with the toddler. She managed to get into my craft cubby and ran off with the knitting needles. Luckily, the stitches came off cleanly and I was able to get them back on a needle without having to re-knit any rows. Even if it had been worse, it happened within the first few rows of the final sleeve and wouldn’t have been hard to restart the sleeve if she had done more damage.
This Ood is almost complete! I have to make her hindbrain, shoes, and gloves before she will be complete. I think I will tackle her shoes next because I have a crochet pattern in mind to create them. I am also going to begin work on sewn pieces for the other Ood doll. It should be interesting to see how sewing goes. I am not accustomed to 1/4″ seams, so it will be a new experience. Fingers crossed that it will go smoothly. Thank you for reading and I hope you have a fantastic day!